A boy, two, is said to be in a coma after after being shot in the head during an incident in north west London.
Emergency services were called to Energen Close, in Harlesden, at 9.45pm on Wednesday after receiving reports that four people had been shot. The child, his mother, who is in her later 20s, and two teens, aged 18 and 19, were all rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds.
Officers said a lone gunman approached the group and fired multiple shots at them before fleeing the scene on a motorbike. A relative of the mother said she was shot eight times in the arm, chest, backside and leg, but both she and the teenagers did not suffer life-threatening injuries.
The relative, who did not wish to be named, said the gunman had approached the two-year-old at ‘close range’ and ‘shot him in the head’. They said the bullet ‘went straight through the other side’.
She told the MailOnline their parent had been to visit the victims in hospital and said the toddler’s mother was about to undergo surgery. She added: ‘The baby is in a coma. I hope he pulls through.’
Another relative told the publication: ‘We think it was a random attack. We have no idea who did it. I hope there is CCTV there to find whoever did it. I hope our family gets justice.’
Earlier today, a spokesperson for the Met Police described the child’s condition as ‘serious but stable’.
Detective Chief Inspector Rick Sewart said: ‘As a result of this terrible crime, an innocent two-year-old-boy is now seriously ill in hospital. This child was shot in a wanton act of indiscriminate violence.
‘I know that people will be shocked and horrified that a little boy should be the victim of a gunman and I need the community to show their support for him, and his family, by telling police what they know.
‘Anyone giving information will be fully supported and if you don’t want to give your name, you can call Crimestoppers, which is totally anonymous. But however you want to do it, make that call, and anyone who is doubtful should think of that little boy and his family’s anguish.’
North West Borough Commander Roy Smith added: ‘We are doing all that we can to bring these criminals to justice and I am working closely with the senior investigating officer from the Met’s Trident Command who is leading the investigation.
‘The Trident team are being supported by specialist detectives from across the Met along with officers from the North West Command Unit. We want to hear from anyone who might have any information which could help the investigation no matter how insignificant they feel it is.
‘As a child is battling for their life I urge everyone in the local community to support us by coming forward with any information that will help us make arrests. I am making sure that we have extra officers on the borough, right now and in the coming weeks. This includes offices from the Violent Crime Task Force and the Met’s Specialist Firearm Command.
‘I know that residents will be worried about their safety and the safety of their families. This is my primary concern and local officers will be conducting additional patrols to provide support and a visible reassurance.’
No arrests have been made in connection with the attack.